If you’re in the process of moving your art collection, you’ll want to take extra steps to ensure your favorite pieces arrive safely at your destination. Whether you’re moving to a different spot in town or across the country, taking extra care protects your treasured art.
How to Pack Paintings
When shipping oil paintings or other artwork, there are a few things you’ll want to do:
- Wrap the painted face: Use several layers of plastic wrap from your kitchen or palette wrap. This will help protect the paint from damage caused by contact with the box or packing materials.
- Choose your boxes carefully: There should be at least two inches of space on each side of the painting. You need the room for proper padding, and the right box size can reduce sliding. Look for sturdy, double-walled boxes for added protection.
- Protect the frame: Place foam or cardboard protectors on the corners of your frames to protect them.
- Wrap carefully: Once a painting has been wrapped in plastic, use bubble wrap and large pieces of cardboard to add padding. Ensure the art cannot move around inside the box and there are several layers of protection between the art and its surroundings.
- Consider double-sided or wood crates: Very large or fragile artwork may need more protection from sturdier boxes, especially if you’re moving something heavy, like a statue.
- Make an X with tape on frames: Use packing tape to place an “x” on each photograph, print or artwork framed with glass. The tape should extend past the glass to the frame to prevent the glass from sliding around and getting damaged.
How David McCarthy Moving Can Help With Shipping Artwork
David McCarthy Moving is a fully licensed and insured moving business with over 30 years of experience. We’re claim-free and independently owned and operated. Homeowners and art lovers have been trusting our moving professionals to transport their most valuable possessions since 1996.
With us, you always have direct communication with the owner of the company. Everyone handling your art and possessions is a carefully-vetted and highly trained employee.
Contact David McCarthy Moving Today
We’re ready to move your belongings and art collection with our custom packing services and special artwork shipping boxes to secure each piece. Our air-conditioned and high-cube vans are ideal for transporting paintings, prints, statues and other works of art.
Reach out to us online to learn more.