The natural and peaceful surroundings of Plant City make it a lovely place to move. This small-town type of city offers something for everyone, with plenty of excellent schools and many ways to have adventures outdoors. You can also visit the nearby hot spots for shopping and other attractions. Learn everything you need to know about the area when you plan to move here.
Where Is Plant City, Florida?
Plant City is located in the heart of Central Florida, in northeast Hillsborough County. The charming area includes about 28 square miles with serene nature and proximity to some of the state’s most popular, thriving cities.
About 25 miles away, you’ll find Tampa’s enticing attractions, such as shopping centers, restaurants, sports games and concert venues. Here, the theme park at Busch Gardens® Tampa Bay offers endless excitement with fast roller coasters, animals like giraffes and tigers, incredible shows and celebrations for holidays like Mardi Gras and Halloween.
Residents here can also make a quick 13-mile trip to Lakeland, home to the world’s most extensive collection of Frank Lloyd Wright’s architecture at Florida Southern College. Other can’t-miss spots in the city include art and history museums, parks and recreation centers and gardens. Additionally, LEGOLAND® Florida Resort offers family-friendly fun with a water park, rides, shows and seasonal events.
Your Smooth Move to Plant City Begins Now!
Planning to call Plant City, FL home? Get top-notch moving services designed to suit your specific needs. Learn more about our offerings today.
Is Plant City, Florida, a Good Place to Live?
Plant City is a good place to live in Florida when settling down with a family, growing your career or retiring. Factors like the low cost of living and the suburban feel of the city make the area ideal for residents of many ages and lifestyles.
The location’s rich history dates back to the mid-1800s when early settlers began to make this their home. The area’s name honors surrounding agriculture and nature, as well as Henry B. Plant, who extended South Florida’s railroad into the town.
You’ll still find beautiful scenery with trees and farms throughout the city. Today, the area is known as the world’s capital for winter strawberries. Over 75% of the midwinter strawberries in the United States come from here. You can try the fresh and delicious fruit at the Florida Strawberry Festival each year, where you’ll find the finest cobblers, shortcakes and pie.
There are many ways to quickly become a part of the community when you attend local events. Also, joining a club or volunteering let you build relationships with others and make lasting friendships when you move here.
Demographics and Population
Around 41,000 people live in Plant City, Florida, and the number continues to grow at a 1.24% rate annually. Out of this population, there are about 29,500 adults, and almost 5,000 of these adults are seniors. About 11,500 children and infants live here.
While all ages are represented in the population here, the median age is 35.7 years old, with males at 36.1 and females at 35.4 years old. People identifying as female contribute to 53% of the population, while those identifying as male contributes to 47% of the population.
According to the latest data, the racial composition consists of about:
- 73% White
- 14% Black or African American
- 6% Other
The rest of the population identifies as two or more races, Asian, Native American and Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander.
Cost of Living
Plant City, Florida, offers an affordable way of life with costs about 3% lower than the nation’s average. The median home price averages a little over $405,000 or around $193 per square foot. Renters of apartments, townhomes and other properties can expect to pay about $1,335 monthly.
Residents make a median household income of around $54,200. The median income for individuals is $32,250. If you’d like to assess how much it’ll cost to live here, you can use an online calculator to factor in the estimated prices of factors like transportation and health care.
Sunny and Comfortable Weather
Plant City offers a beautiful place to live. The average temperature varies from 51 to 91 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the year, and you’ll rarely find the temperature dropping below 38 degrees Fahrenheit.
A warm season lasts from late February to May. From May to September, sunny weather provides a daily temperature averaging around 87 degrees Fahrenheit. About 54 inches of rain per year helps keep the area’s grass and landscaping aesthetically pleasing.
The Best Neighborhoods in Plant City, Florida
Check out this list of nice and family-friendly communities when you’re planning on moving here:
- Applewhite Meadows: A gated community with active residents contains access to a clubhouse, two swimming pools, a fitness center, tennis courts, shuffleboard courts and the sandy beaches of the Gulf of Mexico. There are also plenty of shopping centers nearby.
- Bealsville: The large, oak trees with Spanish moss provide a serene atmosphere in this suburban neighborhood where homes average four to five bedrooms.
- Hopewell: This friendly, family-friendly community in a rural area features scenic views. You’ll find a combination of medium-sized homes with three to four-bedroom, studio or two-bedroom dwellings, as well as mobile homes.
- Little Alafia Creek Estates: The large, single-family homes in this neighborhood were built from 2004 to 2007 and come with reasonable prices for up to an acre-lot-size with well-maintained landscaping.
- North Park Isle: This peaceful and suburban community features single-family homes ranging from two to four bedrooms with amenities including a family-friendly pool and playground.
- Park Place: The beautiful homes in this neighborhood come in various styles with multicar garages and range from 2,600 to over 4,500 square feet.
- Walden Lake: This charming community with both houses and apartments features tree-lined streets nestled around a 62-acre lake. Amenities include nature trails, a playground, a dog park and many sports fields for soccer, volleyball and baseball. It’s also only 15 minutes away from Lakeland and 25 minutes away from Tampa.
Schools and Education
There are many highly-rated schools in Plant City, Florida, where children can learn and develop their skills. The area includes 57 preschools, 31 elementary schools, 15 middle schools and 10 high schools.
One of the best options, Lincoln Elementary Magnet School, includes praise for the academic experiences offered and community-building events. By visiting the Hillsborough County school board site, you can find the perfect school to suit your preferences and the neighborhood you plan to move to.
Some top colleges in the area and surrounding cities include the University of Tampa, the University of South Florida Main Campus, Hillsborough Community College and St. Petersburg College, which offer classes for various subjects and industries. Students can expand their knowledge and gain the skill sets they need for their dream careers here.
Is Plant City, Florida, Safe?
Plant City, Florida, offers a comfortable place to live surrounded by nature. Some gated neighborhoods provide privacy and security to help make you and your loved ones feel safe. In general, the number of crimes per square mile here is lower than the state’s average. Maintaining safe practices throughout your day-to-day lifestyle can help you stay protected and have peace of mind.
Things to Do in Plant City, Florida
Have a fun and exciting time making memories with these activities available in the area:
- Try different wines: A tour, tasting, dining or event at Keel and Curley Winery offers a way to immerse yourself in the award-winning products and remarkable experiences at a local farm.
- Attend the strawberry festival: The famous and exciting Florida Strawberry Festival includes delicious fruit, contests, live concerts and parades with magnificent floats.
- Support local farmers: A trip to the historical Parkesdale Farm Market, which opened in 1969, can give you access to some of the best strawberries and winter vegetables. They are grown locally in a beautiful location among tropical foliage and gardens.
- Learn about railroads: A collection at Robert W. Willaford Railroad Museum offers a wonderful place to view different models and learn about the impact of trains throughout history.
- Play at a dinosaur-themed park: The 150 life-sized sculptures at Dinosaur World offer a fun experience for everyone with hands-on activities like a fossil dig in a lush, garden setting.
- Watch a movie at a drive-in theater: A quick, 15-minute drive takes you to the Silver Moon Drive-In Theatre. The theatre opened in 1948 and lets you watch your favorite films on the big screen from the comfort of your car.
- Go to a haunted house: The haunted trails, escape rooms and laser tag game at Sir Henry’s Haunted Trail offer a spooky thrill around Halloween, as well as other holidays throughout the year.
- Have fun skydiving: A solo or group adventure at Jump Florida Skydiving can offer the experience of a lifetime. Get an adrenaline rush parachuting out of a plane at around 13,000 feet high in the air.
Hire Professionals at David McCarthy Moving
When you’re planning on moving to Plant City, Florida, the professionals at David McCarthy Moving can make your transition easy and efficient with the residential moving services and commercial moving services we offer. To learn more and schedule a move with us, fill out a contact form today!