Port Charlotte, Florida, is an ideal spot for coastal living. With breathtaking views and plenty of sunshine all year round, you can have lots of adventures when you move here. There are many aquatic activities or nearby attractions you can experience along Charlotte Harbor and the Gulf of Mexico or the Peace and Myakka rivers.
Is this the perfect place for your next move? Find out more about the area’s charming neighborhoods, excellent schools, exciting work opportunities, and friendly community.
Is Port Charlotte, FL, a Good Place to Live?
If you’re looking for small-town life near other major cities, look no further. This area spans about 29 square miles and is only located about 10 minutes away from Punta Gorda, 40 minutes from Fort Myers, and 55 minutes from Sarasota.
Here are some features you can enjoy:
- Beautiful nature: More than 13 trails offer a way to experience 102 miles of wilderness, whether you prefer relaxed walks or challenging bike rides.
- Performing arts: The Charlotte Performing Arts Center offers a wide range of shows — you can listen in awe at an opera or catch your breath from laughing so hard at a comedy show.
- Delicious food: A wide array of restaurants will satisfy your appetite, whether you’re in the mood to eat fresh seafood while surrounded by waterfront views or hang out with friends at a bar while listening to live music.
- Shopping: The nearby shopping centers include indoor malls, local farmers markets and boutiques filled with clothing or antique treasures.
- Sports: A sports fan won’t want to miss a chance to wear blue and cheer on the Charlotte Stone Crabs, the city’s minor league baseball team.
Your Easy Move to Port Charlotte Starts Here!
Preparing for your move to Port Charlotte, FL? We’re here to help with professional moving services. Find out more about how we can assist your move.
Demographics and Population
According to the most recent census, around 62,500 people live in Port Charlotte, Florida. This population consists of about 55,400 adults, including about 21,500 seniors. When analyzed, the data reports a median age of almost 56 years old.
The females-to-male ratios are nearly even, with about 51% of citizens identifying as female and about 49% identifying as male. Here’s a breakdown of the racial composition in the area:
- White: About 84%
- Black or African American: About 9%
- Two or more races, Asian or Other: About 6%
Cost of Living in Port Charlotte, FL
If you’d like an opportunity to save money on everyday living costs, you’ll love moving to Port Charlotte, Florida. Overall, the expenses for necessities like food, health care, transportation and housing can total less than $35,000 per year. That’s less than the state’s average of over $36,000 and less than the national average of over $38,000.
To get a customized idea of what your essentials and miscellaneous bills will cost, you can use a cost of living calculator online. The tool allows you to compare the expenses in different cities with your estimated salary, so you can know what to expect when you move and budget accordingly.
Sunny and Warm Weather
Port Charlotte, Florida, feels like a tropical oasis. The area is warm and humid during the summer, with the hottest temperatures lasting from May to October. During this time, you may experience daily temperatures reaching up to 87 degrees Fahrenheit.
Winters feel mild and short here, with the cool season usually lasting from late December to February. Average highs tend to be in the low 70s, but temperatures rarely drop below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
The rainy season usually lasts from May to September, and this rainfall keeps the landscape vibrant and lush. If you want to feel comfortable enjoying outdoor activities, the best times to visit are from mid-February to early May and mid-October to late December.
Best Places to Live in Port Charlotte, FL
Looking for the perfect neighborhood? Check out this list of communities in the area:
- Gulf Cove: This neighborhood of mid-sized homes features beautiful views of canals and the Myakka River. Residents can enjoy fishing, boating and golfing near Sarasota and Fort Myers, Florida.
- Kings Gate: In this gated community, you’ll find villas and attached or single-family homes for adults who are 55 and older. The resort-style living includes an 18-hole golf course and a 30,000-square-foot clubhouse with many amenities.
- Suncoast Lakes: This private, gated community includes many midsized homes with lakeside views. Just 25 miles North of Fort Myers, Florida, this location is close to shops, restaurants, medical facilities and entertainment.
- Peachland Homes: This peaceful, new-construction neighborhood offers two-story homes with three to four bedrooms. Residents can enjoy waterfront dining by a marina or hone their golfing skills at nearby courses in the area.
- Cove at West Port: A community covering about 450 acres of land features twin villas and single-family homes, this neighborhood’s amenities include a clubhouse, resort-style pool, bocce ball and pickleball.
- Maple Leaf Estates: Maple Leaf Estates’ award-winning, 55+ neighborhood and country club includes cozy single-family homes, townhomes and condos dating back to the 1970s. Over 280 acres of land provide a serene setting for golf, tennis, pickleball, bocce ball, lawn bowling, water aerobics and synchronized swimming.
- South Gulf Cove Homes: This community known as “old Florida” includes mid-sized single-family homes, townhomes, condos and lofts. With waterfront views providing a coastal lifestyle, the competitive pricing ranges from around $400,000 to over $1.5 million.
Schools and Education
The Charlotte County school district contains over 15,000 students. There are 26 public schools to choose from, with some of the top-ranking options including Sallie Jones Elementary School and Florida Southwestern Collegiate High School nearby in Punta Gorda, Florida.
You can use the location tool to find the closest school near your neighborhood in Charlotte County. Review the options to learn about academics, extracurricular activities and community-building events.
Residents can take advantage of the employment opportunities in the city or travel a short distance to other workplaces nearby. The number of employment opportunities grows by around 1.77% each year. According to the latest data and statistics, here’s a breakdown of the area’s most common occupations:
- Sales: About 14%
- Management: About 11%
- Health care support: About 5%
- Construction and extraction: About 7%
- Food preparation and serving: About 8%
- Office and Administrative support: About 12%
- Other roles, including business and education: About 43%
Port Charlotte, Florida, is considered a safe place to live, work and raise a family. The property and violent crime rates are significantly lower than other areas in the state. Keep in mind, it’s best to follow safety practices to have peace of mind and reduce your risks and chance of incidents anywhere.
Top 10 Things to Do in Port Charlotte, FL
Want to make memories on a solo adventure or have fun with friends and family? Here are some activities you can enjoy in the area:
- Go fishing: A day trip on a charter boat can take you through Charlotte Harbor and the Gulf Island Coast, a sought-after fishing destination. Some of the most common catches here include grouper, tarpon, snook, redfish and spotted seatrout.
- Scuba dive: The Fantasea Scuba facility offers a way to explore our underwater world in the nearby oceans and lakes. People of all ages are welcome to take beginner and intermediate scuba diving lessons, with options to develop their skills or become certified divers.
- Explore a park: Enjoy the natural beauty of Charlotte Harbor Preserve State Park which includes over 45,000 acres and 100 miles of shorelines. You can hike, fish, paddle and camp here.
- Jump out of a plane: Skydive Southwest Florida offers tandem skydiving from 10,000 or 13,000 feet in the air. With views of the Gulf of Mexico and Peace River, this is considered the most scenic drop zone along the west coast of Florida.
- Make your own wine: A custom experience at the Gilded Grape Winery provides a way to try the finest sweet, dry, red and white wines in Florida. You can learn about the fermentation process and create your drink in a six-to-eight-week course.
- Ride in a glass bottom boat: The Glass Bottom Rentals company provides a beautiful journey through some of the clearest waters in the area. When taking a transparent kayak or paddle board out on the water, you may spot aquatic species, including fish, turtles, dolphins and manatees.
- Have fun at the fairgrounds: A trip to the Charlotte County Fairgrounds offers a way to attend events in the community. You can ride rollercoasters, dance at a concert, attend a festival or celebrate holidays at different times throughout the year.
- Soak in warm mineral springs: Warm Mineral Springs Park is a great place to relax. Visitors can swim in consistent temperatures around 85 degrees Fahrenheit and enjoy the highest content of minerals found anywhere in the United States.
- Enjoy a shopping spree at the mall: A walk through the indoor mall at Port Charlotte Town Center gives you access to over 100 eateries and shops. You can find great deals from popular brands.
- Visit the world’s largest reptile zoo: Marvel at the outdoor attractions at IguanaLand. The exhibits feature over 230 species, including tortoises, iguanas, snakes and lizards — you can also reserve a hands-on experience with some animal encounters.
Schedule Your Move With David McCarthy Moving
If you’d like to move to Port Charlotte, Florida, let the professionals at David McCarthy Moving help. Our company offers everything you need to have a smooth and stress-free experience. We provide residential moving services and commercial moving services to suit your needs.
We use the best practices to transport any size, shape or weight of belongings, including:
Want help packing? No problem! Our team offers full-service or customized packing plans with all the packing supplies, materials and labor included. We can also store your items before, during or after a move in our air-conditioned storage facilities.
To get started, contact our team today!